Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Murphy's Law of Moving

Our packers are due on Monday. By Friday we have painters scheduled. Our home was to be on the market by 15 May. Bre flies in 18 May, Jamin graduates 23 May, our last Sunday is 24 May, we drive out 1 June. We were going to visit family and friends in Alaska before heading to Japan. ::drum roll:::

NOW the movers aren’t coming next week. They “may” get someone here on the 13th to do the hold stuff ONLY. The earliest possibility that they’ll have someone here to pack the stuff for Japan is 21 May – THAT IS THE DAY BEFORE A 4 DAY WEEKEND…..This means they will probably pack the 21st, 26th and 27th for THAT.

They can’t find anyone to pack the storage stuff and that may push into June. We can't leave until everything is packed...and we'd like to stay and sign off on the contract work that is being done on the house. Meanwhile Krista has given her notice based on our timeline. Apartments have been rented in OR, based on the timeline. Painters etc were scheduled that have to be rescheduled, our home won’t be listed NOW, which is prime time for military buyers…..

Ladies – pray for me. I’m looking for the joy…it is mixed with a good bit of frustration. It appears we will be packing right around graduation or the week after, instead of kicking back with the girls. Our stuff will NOT arrive in Japan in July/Aug....more like Sept/Oct. It looks as if we won’t be able to make it to Alaska (this is why military folks have a hard time taking advantage of early bird prices on airfare!). If they bump it much more it will cut into the time we have to spend in the NW with family…. Dad Earl is 93 - we need to see him before we go overseas. We think we NEED to see everyone else but most likely it is a want. ::snort:: The date that will not change is the date we fly out of Seattle to Japan. ::snort::

Positives in not packing on Monday:

  • Jamin will NOT move out on Mother's day!
  • I'll have more time to work on photos.
  • I have more time to sell books/curriculum etc.
  • I have more time to organize.
  • I'll have less time without Internet (I don't think that's available at the fam camp).
  • We'll be able to go to the kids' drama performance (Jamin wrote the play that the kids are performing).
  • Our last Bible study won't be while the packers are at our house. ::snort::
  • I don't have to have EVERYTHING done by Sunday.
  • This will save Jamin money.
  • The girls wanted to help with the move and we had planned to have it all done before they arrived. ::snort::
  • Krista can make a new stool for Zander and we can pack it with our household goods. ::snort::
  • The urgent pace of sorting abates if they are arriving the last week of may instead of the 11th.......guess I can procrastinate a few weeks? ::snort::
  • We have more time to transfer VHS to DVD.
  • I think we'll have the boys' portfolio's mailed before we move into the trailer.

Ah - listing those positives really does calm one down.

In the end, the house will sell when God wants it to sell, the packers will pack when God wants them here, we'll leave town when God wants us to leave town.....We'll adjust....we REALLY wanted to take a mini-vacation to Alaska and visit friends and will not receive PFD from here on out since we can't make it up there in 2009 but honestly....it's OK....we still have email and God will figure out a good time for us to make it to AK for a visit.

Krista's on the phone - no time to blog!

©2009 D.R.G.

~ Coram Deo ~
Living all of life before the face of God...