Note: This makes four LARGE calzones....this was the smallest one of the four. I subbed NOT Cheese sauce on one of them ...and added ground turkey to three of them for my family. Everyone loved them.
Pizza Dough for Calzones
Yields 4 large doughs
5 c. bread flour
2 c .semolina flour
1 T. kosher salt
1 T. dry yeast
2 ½ c. warm water (90-100F)
1 T. sugar
2 oz. olive oil, extra virgin
- Preheat oven to 425F. Place pizza stone on center rack.
- Whisk together water, yeast, 1 t. sugar, and olive oil. Set in a warm area for 10 minutes.
- Combine flours, salt and remaining sugar in stand mixer bowl and attach dough hook. Add water mixture while on low speed until combined, then medium speed for 10 minutes.
- Place in lightly greased bowl, cover loosely with a damp cloth (or plastic wrap) and set in a warm area until doubled in size.
- Cut into desired number of pieces and roll to ¼“ thick.
- Add filling and bake for 15-20 minutes (depending on size) and rotate half-way through.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, cut and serve immediately.
1 ea. butternut squash, peeled, cored and large diced
2 ea. large turnips, peeled, medium diced
2 ea. parsnips, peeled, medium diced
2 ea. carrots, peeled, medium diced
1 ea. large rutabaga, small diced
2 ea. red onions, large diced
1 large head fennel, white only, medium dice
½ T. garlic, minced
2 T. fresh herbs, chopped
2 oz. olive oil
Salt and pepper
8 c. smoked mozzarella, shredded
Eggwash as needed
Sea salt and Fresh Cracked Pepper as needed
- Toss together all ingredients in a large bowl and roast at 350F for 45 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool.
- Place vegetables on doughs in desired shape of calzone. Top with a very generous amount of cheese and eggwash around the edge (about 1”).
- Fold dough over and crimp the edges to form a seal. Egg wash the outside and top with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Follow baking instructions above.
|Pure vegan yumminess!|
Choosing Joy!©2012 D.R.G.
Living all of life before the face of God...