Even in the midst of a snow fall, Yuuki must SMELL EVERY.THING.
The kids love Panda Express' Orange Chicken. Eating out is expensive out here. Our budget is much less than previously. I have been trying to find something they'd like as well as Panda Express Orange Chicken. The first two tries were bombs (one just the PE sauce sold in stores - NOT THE SAME), the other a recipe from the internet.
THIS recipe from Dinner Then Dessert is a hit! I've made it as written. I don't like all the hassle of frying, so this last time I simply baked the chicken and cubed it up - rather than all the coating and frying. The kids said they like it best fried, but this was great too..... I'm putting this here so I don't have to click through Google for 30 min each time I want to make Orange Chicken.
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tbsp oil divided, plus more for frying
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup flour
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 10 tablespoons white vinegar
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ginger root minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp hot red chili pepper crushed
- To make the sauce combine the 1 tablespoon cornstarch, rice wine, water, sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar, white vinegar and orange zest.
- To coat the chicken add the egg, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil into a bowl and whisk together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add 1/2 cup corn starch and flour and mix well.
- In a large frying pan or a wok, heat oil in a wok 375 degrees.
- Dip chicken pieces in the egg mixture, then dredge in the flour mixture.
- Fry the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and repeat with remaining chicken.
- When you are done with the chicken, drain most of the oil from the pan (leave about a tablespoon).
- Add the ginger, garlic and crushed red peppers, cooking for about 10 seconds.
- Add the orange sauce and bring to boil
- Turn off the heat, and add cooked chicken and stir until well mixed.
Post a Comment