7 "Let us rejoice and be glad and give the glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His bride has made herself ready." 8 It was given to her to clothe herself in fine linen, bright and clean; for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints.
It's no secret that I like to ask questions.
As I read the very heavens are rejoicing...WHY? Jesus' bride (the church, me) has made herself ready....
HOW? She clothed herself in fine linen!
WHAT would fine linen be? HOW does this apply in my daily life?
The fine linen the bride is clothed in are the righteous acts she has lived out.
I love it when the questions are answered RIGHT in the passage.....
I make myself ready for the wedding by clothing myself in righteous acts (Yes, we are clothed in HIS righteousness - I TOLD you this would not be a FULL treatment - just one aspect - stick with me).
She clothed herself in fine linen - in righteous acts....and my mind ran to Matthew 5 -7.....to what Jesus, Himself, teaches on true righteousness. Obedience to these teachings are the foundation I build my life on (Matt 7:24). Jesus cared that we know what personal righteousness looks like walked out.....and it's that walking out that prepares us to be His bride...prepares us for the "Wedding Supper". Check out Matt 5 - 7 yourself....here are some quick things I remembered from our study (as I didn't mark the word - but probably will when I get home where I have some colored pencils). ::snort::
- Beatitudes illustrate a life of righteousness (Matt 5: 1-12)
- Righteous believers shine and flavor society (Matt 5:13 - 16)
- True righteousness will fulfill the heart of the law (Matt 5:17-48)
- OUR righteousness is to surpass that of the Scribes and Pharisees (Matt 5:20)
- Jesus preached an internal righteousness stemming from relationship - rather than ONLY external keeping of laws (whole thing)
- Jesus calls us to a single-focus, to simplicity (Matt 6:22)
- Secret life of relationship will produce observable acts of righteousness (Matt 6:1-18)
- Secret life is first priority! (Matt 6:33) (Really focused here a lot - sweet intimacy).
- Seeking His Kingdom and Heavenly Treasures is to be first (see above) Matt 6
- Righteousness runs from hypocrisy (Matt 7)
- Righteousness asks of the Father (Matt 6, 7)
- Righteousness is not afraid to call God Daddy (Matt 5 -7)
- A righteous bride will be fruitful (Matt 7)
- God KNOWS the righteous (Matt 7)
Personally, there are some specific "works" that Christ has prepared for me to walk in (another musing for another day). Yes, I get tired. Yes, I choose joy as I walk out those works. Obedience to walk out these acts of service/righteousness prepares me, clothes me, for the Marriage Supper of the Lamb. I'm getting ready.
|Love this photo as it shows generations preparing the bride|
Bridal Preparations in progress. ::grin:: How are your Bridal preparations going? Have you given any thought to the fine linen which we are called to prepare? I desire to be a prepared bride. I desire to be helpful in the preparation of the Bride of Christ as we prepare for the Marriage Supper of the Lamb.
Living all of life before the face of God...