Sunday, August 15, 2010

Living in a Whirlwind

I promised an update and so I won't go to bed until I catch up. 

This week FOOTBALL entered our lives. There is a morning practice from 7:45 - 10:30 (ish - big ish).  There is an afternoon practice from 3:45 - 6:30 (ish - usually more like 6:45 or 6:50).  I drove 20 hours this week back and forth to the base. 

I discovered the a.m. practice is perfect for going to the gym.....meeting a friend afterwards, checking the post office, returning library books, quick grocery run and birthday shopping. 

Arielle has supervised table school during that time. We get home and have lunch. 

We do couch school. Yes, we DID get a full week of school in this week (well the youngers did). We take Jared back to football and then the youngers and I go play. We went to the beach, we went to a park, we played with get the idea. 

Beyond that...this gal got a new look. She learned to speak and eat again. Only once did she get floss stuck in the braces. They are purple and pretty cool. We all approved of her decision NOT to go with yellow. 
A funny aside has to do with rain and Arielle's dental trips. It has ALWAYS rained when she goes to the dentist.  Monday was HOT and sunny....and POURED, lightening strikes, thunder....during the time she was in the chair. She and Jared had had a running dialogue about this BEFORE the Jared had practice in the storm. LOL 

We experienced our first tropical storm of the season coming through - bit of a dud, I think. 

I continued work on local and regional PWOC things. 

Tuesday night I got a call to meet Jared and a coach at the Emergency Room.  Half the kids had helmets, half did not and they were learning blocking drills or some such thing. Jared got 3 stitches......

And....*I* added another bit of wisdom to my mommy repertoir...."When going out, always wear clean underwear and SHAVE your face...never know when you'll need stitches...requiring big band-aides to be ripped off your face daily for 3 days. They didn't shave due to risk of infection. 

We had dinner with various deployment buddies, park outings, walks, workout dates.....the accuracy of this sun dial always amazes the kids. 

Thursday was a Chaplain's spouses breakfast. I love this group of women. I'm blessed.  We also received a package from contained a birthday gift for Stacia and a few other goodies. 

This rug....

This really cool chess set....inlaid...Stacia claimed it and I told her this would be a family set and stay home when they left home. 

We stopped for our free smoothies at Cafe Aomori (deployment perk). On the way out I visited briefly with some kids in the lobby of the club. Their parents walked in and the mom said, "Are you De'Etta? I recognize your kids." She's an Internet/Facebook friend. She lives further north than us and we've not met before. FUN. 

We attended Jesse's last baseball game (yep, Dad's deployed). He pitched a great game and the kids enjoyed playing Red Rover with friends behind the bleachers. Twyla showed us a great, quick, healthy Italian dinner.....With a name like Clizignxosneyojpgoiueoho you know they're Italian. ::snort:: 

Saturday morning, after the gym, bright and early......I went to Twyla's and watched a DVD she had by Lou Giglio. I ordered the set. He's wonderful. I want to attend a Passion Conference. 

We attended a Missoula Children's Theater play. The kids were disappointed not to be able to audition. We were told if you were late for a practice or missed a practice you would be kicked out...and knowing Arielle was getting braces, we chose to simplify. I'm glad we did. I'm not sure how else we would have survived last week. 

After the play we met a friend and her son at the park. Kids played, mommies walked and encouraged one another (another deployment buddy). Is anyone still reading? Saturday a.m. I had started a roast. By the time we picked up Jared from the last practice it was 6:55 and I was tired. We went to the Food Court with Renee and Ricky (deployment buddies). Yum. Great day. 

We walked in to the house at 8:30 p.m. to the smell of roast! Oops....we had a great roast for dinner today. I think I'll do that much more often. I baked fresh bread before we went to chapel. 

We are celebrating this girl's 5th birthday today (it's tomorrow for real). We went to her favorite park after lunch. (Yes, I know she has an under bite...THIS one I figured out on my own. LOL)

She took us all on a "birthday walk".....not sure what's up with THIS pose. LOL 

Jared found a reel - he's DETERMINED to build his own pole. I would buy him one. 

What do you think? Horse fly? 

Zander's new obsession. He bought it. 

Back at home, our birthday gal came out in a truly international outfit. The NEW pig hat from Japan....her American tank and a skirt/scarf from Afghanistan.

At this point, Michael Skyped. She opened his gift. 

I snorted when the call dropped. I was trying to call and she came in to model the gift.....and he wasn't responding to her chattering and posturing...finally she said, "He's just staring!" Poor thing...we all lost it. 

Michael joined us for the rest of the birthday party.....but we couldn't share the cake. I'll write another birthday post....afterall I'm not behind, the birthday is tomorrow. 

It was a BUSY week and I'm thrilled it went so well. It was so busy, I didn't even upload photos daily. It's good I took some, or I would not remember all we'd done. As unbelievable as it feels, this next week will be busier. 
  • Double football practices continue (one more week)
  • We're going to continue trying to do a full week of school....we want time off in October when Michael makes it back to Japan. 
  • I have a PWOC Regional board meeting via Skype
  • I need to work on the Regional PWOC budget a bit more
  • We're watching Ricky  - which will be a blast and give Renee time to pray through her upcoming speaking for the Ladies Fall Rally. 
  • I will be speaking a bit at the MOPS leadership retreat. 
  • We need to get 12 hour fasting labs for Jared, and stitches removed. 
  • I need to continue working on details for the Ladies Fall Rally/PWOC Kick Off.
  • Saturday is our local training. I'm doing parts of it. 
In the midst of it all, God is teaching me to rest, to submit to His timing, to stretch and grow and delight in His word. To listen for HIS voice in so many different ways. To dance with Him. It's been a fantastic week. 

It's only 9 p.m. but I'm EXHAUSTED...heading for bed with the hopes I wake up early enough to make a dent in some of the "to dos" before heading to the base field and gym. 

Choosing Joy!
©2010 D.R.G.
~Coram Deo~
Living all of life before the face of God...


Renee said...

Missoula plays are lots of fun but yes you do need to be at each and every rehearsal since the entire show is put together in less than a week. Abigail was in shows twice in Korea and then they came one year to Garmisch. Abigail actually skipped going to... hmmm, can't remember where Scott, John, Theresa and I went that spring break. James and Madeleine were on service project with Club Beyond.... so she could audition and be in the show

Linda said...

Whew! No kidding "life in a whirlwind"! How in the world can they do football practices like that? I guess the kids aren't back to school yet? Oh the fun of braces! I just made my last payment on 2 kids' braces last week. Thank you, God! Gerren has his off already, but Chase has a long row of it due to making space for adult teeth that were going to come in weird. Do they use braces to correct an underbite as well?

Janette said...

You found a

In our area they are in a 17 year cycle. They live underground for most of it and come up to lay eggs and die this time of year. Their sound fills the Kansas air. I did not know they live in Japan!

Love the rug and the head scarf! Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Great post. You really have been busy - even busier than what I guessed from skype. Stacia really did look adorable in the dress. I actually did not get the entire chess set laid out before I bought it. I just saw the pieces. When it is all put together, it really is impressive. I will send a few more photos of some more rugs. I will look at a step up in size from this one for the next rug.
Love you, Mike

Kim said...

Hi De'Etta! Happy Birthday to Stacia! Wow! It was just a year ago we were doing this communication from opposite sides of the sea!

Two quick comments - the bug is a cicadea (sp?) The bugs making all the noise lately.

And, on my Skype, I can get a full screen picture by clicking "full Screen" or something like that in the middle at the top of the picture. On windows.

I need to update My blog too!!! We just got back from vacation. I'll write some things out for you tomorrow - I hope!

MrsAlbrecht said...


It was so cool to meet you. I was reading your blog today, and then realized, "hey! That's me! I'm that friend!" ;)

Thanks for sharing how you are passing the time. I loved the baptism photos, too.

You are in our prayers!

Much love,

Linda said...

I was going to say cicada. We heard LOTS of them while camping this weekend. One "hissed" at Scotty, and scared him to death. I've heard you can just place them on your clothing (the dead bugs) and they'll "cling" and you have your own buggy jewelry (I've not tried this!). While we do not have any cicadas, we have cicada killers burrowing into our yard...go figure.

Cynthia said...

Don't you just love those MCT plays! We do one a year now. We used to do 2. I always accompany them when they are here for our group.

OUCH about the stitches. Glad it wasn't any worse!

I hope being busy helps the time pass quickly!