I saw this on Lisa's Facebook page. She's never led me wrong yet. You can read notes and reviews of the recipe at food.com where it originated.
3/4 cup uncooked brown rice, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 cups vegetable stock or 2 cups chicken stock
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 medium bell pepper, diced
1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (1 1/2 Cups cooked dried beans)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (Opt)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, snipped
2 medium limes, quartered
1. Bring the vegetable or chicken stock to a boil; stir in the turmeric and brown rice.
2. Bring rice to boiling, stir once, lower heat and cook 40 to 45 minutes or until done and liquid has been absorbed, adding more liquid if needed.
3. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil, warming slightly.
4. To the warmed pan, add the onion, jalapeno, bell peppers, and red pepper flakes; cook for 4 minutes or until beginning to brown on the edges, remove from heat.
5. Stir the drained beans and cumin into the mixture adding salt to taste.
6. Let stand covered for 5 minutes; stir in the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
7. To serve, divide the rice into 4 equal portions and place on individual plates.
8. Top the rice with bean mixture, sprinkle with cheese and snipped cilantro.
9. Serve lime wedges on the side to squeeze over all.
~I put the veggie broth, turmeric and rice in our rice steamer and it worked great.
~The kids had cheese and sour cream - I didn't and it was just fine and vegan.
~I left out the hot peppers to make it kid friendly and I still haven't found the cilantro but it was yummy.
~All the kids ate it - some with copious amounts of ketchup.
Living all of life before the face of God...