Zander - on schedule. Loved the bowling alley treat.
Stacia - It seems I may have confused some about the shots we refuse...we refuse the social shots. There is simply no need for our children to have them. If the Air Force felt we needed them, we'd discuss it further. We've inquired about what is needed for Japan - no worries there. We would never knowingly put our children at risk. The shots themselves, however, are a risk for Stacia.
Here's a bit more info so y'all don't think I'm simply a needle hating mother (which I am). LOL Our base has a walk in immunization clinic. You don't see a doc before hand. Stacia had a reacation to her 6 month shots. She had the fever, swelling etc...that is NORMAL and not a reaction...she also had a rash and hives...which I'm told is not normal. Our peditrician knew that we were concerned about the suspected autism connection to shots. After the 6 month shots she was concerned about the reaction and suggested we hold off on shots until Stacia was "older". We thought 2 - 3. Today the Sgt., who is well known for being great at her job, looked it all up and said we could wait longer if we'd like. SHE would have been more at ease if we waited until Stacia was 4....but Stacia was there and ready....and we felt it would be o.k.
We've been told that you don't have a say on shot schedules and combon shots in the Air Force. Not true. I wanted Mike there as so many had told me they would NOT split up the shots. Imagine my surprise when they INSISTED it would be safer to split up the combo DTAP shot into three shots....they also advised that she only get ONE shot at a time...so that if she has another reaction we'll know which one it is and she'll not get it again. The concern is that the swelling could spread to air passages...and I guess the concern (which we didn't know about until today) is that her next reaction will be stronger than the first one. We know which ones she had at 6 months....it was the Dtap and some other one I can't pronounce, but she didn't get it this time.
She had one shot. We waited for 20 minutes. I'm watching her. She doesn't have a rash, swelling or hives...so I think she is fine. I think it would have hit earlier if she was going to have a reaction. It's not been 8 hours.
She will have another shot in a month. It will take a long time for her to be caught up....but all feel this is the safest way to immunize her and be sure that she doesn't have a serious reaction. Long story short - yes - not having immunizations can keep you from some overseas clearnaces....but it isn't that she isn't having any....we have good reasons for her being behind schedule. She's never had an MMR and won't before Japan...BUT her records clearly state that she not be given combo shots and that she get one at a time....they also state why. She's already cleared for Japan. We've been told that this is not a problem as they have immunization clinics at all the bases in Japan.
I feel sad for her having to do them one shot every month....but I am MUCH more at peace with her getting one shot, rather than 5, at a time.