My Doc insisted I come in yesterday. She had new labs to discuss with me. Here's the health side of thing.... I'll post all the photos at the end of the post.
- Cholesterol was near 200
- Triglycerides were way, way, way over normal
- Kidneys and liver were showing signs of taxing
- My A1C was 7 (Type 2 diabetic)
- BMI was 34.3
- Weighed 199.8
March 30 2020
- Cholesterol is 98 (LDL is a few points down, HDL went up a lot!)
- Triglycerides are normal - low normal
- Kidney and liver function completely normal
- My A1c is 5.6 - 3 months ago she told me I had gone from diabetic to pre-diabetic....today she said I'm, "barely normal" but normal. She cautioned me to consider to think of myself as diabetic if I want to control this via lifestyle...otherwise I WILL be diabetic again and the next time I will have to begin meds.
- BMI is now 26.9
- Weigh 156.8 - a loss of 43 lbs this year
- SURPRISE my thyroid is out of kilter...I am now hyper thyroid. She said we should have thought of this as I've lost 23% of my body weight and so it would impact how much levothyroxine I should take. I haven't been able to sleep so.....as soon as express script arrives I will be taking a lower dose.
- Had been a vegan for 9 years; fairly high complex carb diet
- Changed to Mediterranean/Blue Zone at Shelly's recommendation
- Added lean protein (Salmon, Chicken Breast, eggs, Greek yogurt and feta cheese)
- Kept carbs under 100g a day - usually around 30 - 40 which makes me low carb by the doc definition but not by "keto" low carb definitions.
- I eat NO sugar - I use stevia 95% of the time and use a blend of stevia/erythitol or monkfruit when I can't use stevia.
- With that said - Shelly said I could have sugar once a month and so I do that from time to time...like the day after an A1C (back in July) or birthdays.
- Intentional to add meaningful movement to my days
- Gardening, walks, hikes
- Shelly started by recommended 30 min of cardio "most days of the week"
- 3 months ago she suggested adding some strength training
- Today she suggested training for a 5K run because I messed up and told her I'd started jogging a "tiny bit" on the tread mill.
- I track it all with the WW ap (blue plan) as that plan mirrors and encourages the choices my doc told me to make. I would have used itrackbites - carb plan if I'd seen it first.
The loss has been slow....an average of 3.58 lbs a month. I had a 3 month period where I lost nothing.....I'm seeing this seems to happen for a few weeks every 10 - 15 lbs.
I DO feel the changes are sustainable. I have not given anything up (other than simple sugar) for LIFE....I'm learning how to occasionally add a treat into my plan, track it and keep going....
Health, improvement, appearance and a good relationship with food were my goals a year ago...I'm making progress in all areas.
Photo is from 2013
|My Goal? 138|
Shelly asked how I felt at this one year mark. I told her I really wanted to reach goal in a year...but I'm learning to celebrate progress. She said my health is great now...but, she would be happy if I go down to a BMI of 25; 145 lbs. My current thought is I want to be a BMI of 24 so if I fluctuate I'm still in the healthy range. That would be 140.....basically the 138 I instinctively aimed for before being told to aim for 130. Hoorah!
I plan to continue with the changes I have made; eating well, moving daily, tracking daily.....keep my health numbers normal.
My Goal - no idea what number on the scale that will be
- Healthy Labs
- BMI of 24
- Size 8 pants
- Guessing somewhere between 135-145
|Ugh - 199.8|
|YIKES - still can't bowl|