A.W. Tozer, "The Pursuit of God," p 9-10. Emphasis mine.
We can fall into several errors towards the Word.
- Devalue it's place in our life and base our "faith" totally on emotion, others words, and experience
- Become focused on a didactic knowledge of the Word and fail to be spiritually nourished by it
The Word of God is meant to
- Be a conversation with God
- Introduce us to God
- Nourish us
- Assist in our transformation into His image
- Provide a pattern for life
- Wash and cleans us
- Correct us
- Reprove us
- Teach us
- Train us in righteousness
- Equip us for every good work to which He calls
- Give us great peace
- Keep us from stumbling and being offended as we surrender to the Lord of the Word
We must avoid either neglecting the Word or treating the Word like an academic subject. We need to approach the Word expecting to hear from the God of the Word. We need to learn to practice conversational/relational reading of the Word. As we do our "Bible study" truly will become an intimate delight.
May your Bible study bring you great intimacy and delight, may you be nourished, fed, changed by the time you spend with God interacting with His message to you.
Living all of life before the face of God...