These were a hit with the entire family - even the non-vegans. I'm not sure WHY there were so oily looking - I will cut the oil by 1/2 next time - make it more nutritious anyway. LOL This, and other yummy vegan recipes, are at Mouthwatering Vegan Recipes.
Serves 3 to 4 (depending on portion size)
INGREDIENTS FOR CHEESE SAUCE
3 cups (750 mL) soya milk, or other non-sweetened dairy-free milk (I used Alpro)
1 Tbsp all purpose plain flour
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp fine garlic granules
salt (don’t omit)
a knob of vegan butter
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp vegetable stock powder or granules (try Kallo)
a little water if needed
FOR ROAST POTATOES
4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large quarters (Cyprus potatoes are ideal)
1 large onion thinly sliced
¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil for roasting
¼ cup water
paprika and fresh rosemary for garnishing
- Preheat your oven to 440ºF (225ºC).
- Place all the ingredients in a ‘milk’ pan and whisk.
- Heat the mixture up, mixing virtually non-stop, until you have a thickish consistency. Lower the heat, and continue cooking for a further minute or so.
- Next, arrange your potatoes and onions in an ovenproof dish, (around 8 x 8 inches), pour on the oil and the rest of the ingredients, except for the garnish of paprika and rosemary.
- Place in the oven for an hour, or until the potatoes are all golden. Remember to take them out after 30 minutes to turn them around.
- When golden, pour the cheese sauce on top of the potatoes, making sure to allow some of the potatoes to show themselves through – so don’t dowse the entire surface. Do this by pouring the cheese sauce all around the edges, and the rest on the top, leaving a few inches of space between the sauce mix and the potatoes.
- Place in the oven for a further 20 minutes, or until a skin is formed. Remove, garnish and serve.
These were yummy - almost like dessert Arielle said. I think this is because I didn't have enough potatoes and used a sweet potato too. I didn't use the vegetable stock powder and it was fine. Next time I'll cut the oil. No animal products and it tasted wonderful - even better than cheese potatoes.
Living all of life before the face of God...