We knew Dad had 3 scheduled appointments.....but the week went off the rails. We ended up with more appointments - but I'm getting ahead of myself.
Josiah is quarantined due to a work exposure to COVID 19.
Jamin is also staying home due to the fact that he shares a home with Josiah.
BreZaak and crew began the week quarantined due to Izaak's exposure.
Dad's first appointment went well. We came home and did a bit of work in the neglected garden. Dad has adopted the corn patch - which is SHORT, but tasseling.
Dad's second appointment was for an angiography and possible stent on the blockages detected in previous tests. They allowed me to go into the hospital as I'm his caregiver. I waited and waited - masked - and thought up parody songs about, "I'll mask up for you..." The work needed was more extensive than they had expected. All 3 arteries are 80% blocked. They referred us to a heart surgeon.
We began to discuss the issues with Dad....stay the course with meds, stents, or open heart by pass surgery. We hoped for stents and waited to hear from the surgeon.
The surgeon called at 9:02 the next day. They wanted to see us in Anchorage at noon. Up we went. Due to the placement of the blockages in the left artery, to stent would require at LEAST 5 seconds of no blood to Dad's heart. The Dr. said he feared his heart wouldn't start up again. In his opinion this was the option with the shortest life expectancy.
Two options were to accept a major heart attack is on it's way....statistically 80% chance it would be within a year...could happen any time, or have the by pass surgery. Dad chose the surgery. He chose the option with the chance of the longest life expectancy.
There just aren't a lot of photo options at doctors....this little sign in the elevator cracked us all up. There is NO WAY 4 folks will be 6 feet apart in here....maybe 2 could pull it off.
We texted and called family and Dad's family-like-friends on the way home to the valley.
I spent significant time talking with various folks to get permission to at least attend pre-op with Dad. Anchorage has the policy NO ONE can attend patients...not even caregivers. I told them I understood, but if they had info pertaining to Dad's care I NEEDED TO HEAR IT....and if they want him to go directly to surgery on the morning of surgery, I need to accompany him. I got a call back Friday afternoon saying I can attend pre-op and accompany him until the surgical nurse meets him. I will then leave and see him again when he is released at the door of the hospital. I can live with this.
The heart surgeon is predicting 4 days in ICU and a total of 7-9 days in the hospital.
We spent Saturday readying the RV. Michael, Stacia and I will go up with Dad on Tuesday. We'll stay in Anchorage for the first few days post op. I KNOW we can't visit or really do anything - but stay, we will.
Michael and I went shopping for a tablet so Dad could have video visitors in lieu of visitors. We worked on setting it up today only to discover Dad has no interest in video visitors. He is just fine talking on the flip phone and didn't want to take the tablet to the hospital. It was MY need to have that contact. Stacia has a birthday in 2 weeks and is HAPPY to take the tablet off grandpa's hands.
We ended the night, and started the new week, playing Farkle...and eating treats. Stacia made a yummy carrot cake, Michael pulled out ice cream and Krista had Belgium chocolate left from her trip to AL. One of her fellow chaplains had flown in from Germany.
Even Millie wanted to play tonight....look how quickly she is growing. She is 3 months old now. We suspect she will be more than the 50lbs we were anticipating based on her Mom and Dad's sizes. She was 21 lbs last time we weighed her.
Dad's surgery is Wednesday, August 5th at 0730. We appreciate and crave your prayers. There are many things about this I simply don't like.
This song has been playing in my mind......